random ideas for next release

Any positive or negative feedback should be posted here. Like something about Snake360? Hate something? Let me know! I will read and respond to all comments!

random ideas for next release

Postby slowbro » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:08 am

My best idea is a new way to use the L and R buttons (to add to the controller options already available).

Each button press could initiate two turns, one immediately after the other. LT could be left then left, LB left then right, RB right then left, and RT right then right; or the triggers and bumpers could be switched. Course that control option couldn't be used alone ...

My other ideas ... probably mostly bad ones ... There could be a mode where survival mode stages expand every so often, like after every 10 or 20 pellets. They could begin small but eventually become way bigger than the current size of levels.

Going with the idea in another thread, in certain normal mode stages a different-colored pellet that opens a barrier could appear after so many normal pellets.

I agree the Marathon mode needs a small scoring fix for remaining lives. With each life remaining I can score 30,000+ points if I grab 8 pellets and get some 1.2 multipliers, so each remaining life could be worth anywhere from 20000 to 50000 depending on how valuable you want them to be. Or the first could be worth 20000, second 25000, 3rd 30000, 10th 65000 etc.

... A power-up that lets the snake break some small number of squares of wall?! Probably not, heh.

Here's hoping there is enough demand to warrant a next release.
slowbro

Re: random ideas for next release

Postby yyr » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Thanks as always for your feedback and suggestions =)

I'm kind of against control "shortcuts" like that. I think there's a degree of skill involved in pulling off those movements, and I want to reward the players that are able to do it properly. It's something I'd run by some people, though, and possibly consider.

I do, however, like the idea of an expanding Survival level, and may experiment with that in the future... and I would also consider working with doors, blocked paths, etc. that can be unlocked.

But yes, Marathon mode does need a bonus for remaining lives.
Aaron Teplitsky
yyrGames
I hope you're having fun with them!
yyr
Site Admin

Postby slowbro » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Well if you don't want to add macro-type stuff that's sure alright with me. Rewarding skill is a good thing. I'm really not sure if I'd like the door-opening stuff or not.

There could be a speed between Turbo and Extreme, but you probably don't want too many options or unlockables.
slowbro

Postby yyr » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 am

Actually, I was originally hoping to have more speeds (and the Normal speed was to be a bit slower) but the method I used for moving the snake along only works with fractions of a unit that divide perfectly into 1.

For example:
0.10, 0.125, 0.2, 0.25, 0.5 all work fine. By the way, these are the actual values that correspond to the Slowest, Slow, Normal, Turbo and Extreme speeds in the game.
0.15, 0.1666 (the speed I would have liked to use for Normal), 0.225, etc. don't work.

If I change the way the snake movement works, I might be able to get other values working for next time.
Aaron Teplitsky
yyrGames
I hope you're having fun with them!
yyr
Site Admin

Postby slowbro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:09 am

Wow, that really makes sense even though I'm no programmer. So that's why extreme is so much faster than everything else, and turbo isn't that much faster than normal. Too bad 0.33333... or 0.4 doesn't work, heh.
slowbro

Return to Snake360 Feedback