Toradora! Volume 1 Premium Edition (North America)

Want to post something having absolutely nothing to do with yyrGames or video gaming? Throw it in here.

Toradora! Volume 1 Premium Edition (North America)

Postby yyr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Having been one of the lucky first few to receive the Toradora! volume 1 premium box, I figured I'd take a few pictures and give a few impressions.

I've been a huge fan of the series since I was introduced to it last year. Watched it fansubbed, read as much of the light novel fan translations that exist, and have basically spent money on it in any way that was possible...so naturally I pre-ordered this set, published by NIS America as their first foray into anime. I hope that I can someday own the novels in English... they're wonderful! If you haven't heard of Toradora! then you should check out the Wikipedia article on it here. It's basically a romantic comedy with strong characters. I love it =)

A few notes for the unaware: this package contains episodes 1-13 (of 25) on two discs. No dubbing was performed (they cite budget constraints), so the only sound track is in Japanese. The visual format of the series is 16:9 widescreen. The first disc contains episodes 1-7 only; the second contains episodes 8-13, clean opening/ending animations, and the bonus features "Toradora SOS! Hurray for Gourmands" #1 and #2 (I haven't checked those out yet).

Now, the pictures.

The first thing I noticed was the size of the box. It's as big as two DVD cases placed side by side, then rotated 90 degrees. Here, I compare the size to that of an Entertainment Weekly magazine, and some chick named Ai that I picked up on the way home:

Better shot of the front of the box:

The back features a variant of the same artwork:

Here's a view from the top. Unfortunately, as you can see, there's no way to close the box once you've undone the shrinkwrap:

Here's a look at how the items are packaged. Basically it's the bonus "Episode Guide" book on the bottom, then the two DVDs on top. Each DVD is in a slim case, exactly the same as the cases used in all of the modern thin-packed sets. I'm a little bummed that there isn't a separate box for the DVDs.

The three items that came in the box, unboxed:

Inside each case is the disc only. There are no liner notes or other inserts. But there is a tad of artwork on the empty panel. Here's the first disc:

And the second:

The bonus 28-page "Episode Guide" book is pretty sweet. It's like liner notes, but on crack. It's done in a very authentic format. I'm a big fan. There are also interviews with several of the voice actors. Here's a shot of one of the early pages:

And the page after that:

All told, I wish it was a bit more convenient (this is NOT going to fit with my other anime!!) but the bonus book is great and the art is wonderful. A nice package. I'll be pre-ordering the second set (episodes 14-25) soon!

Oh, you're wondering about the disc itself? Well, I just popped it in. It starts playing episode 1 automatically. If you choose to go to the menu, you'll find what you'd expect... an episode selector, the ability to jump to prologue/opening/A-part/B-part/ending/preview for each episode, and a setup screen (the only option is to toggle subtitles). The subtitle text so far appears to be all white (no alternate color for lyrics, etc.). I noticed a little bit of an odd stuttering effect during scenes that panned to one side on both my 360 and PS3, but hopefully that's just my setup. The video quality is alright... it doesn't seem as sharp as what I just completed (the FUNimation release of Pani Poni Dash!), but I'm not that picky. Of course, I've noticed some differences already between the NIS translation and the translation in the fansubs I've seen, but I'm not really the type of person to be able to judge which is "better." I've also only watched part of episode 1 so far. But I think I've gone far enough for first impressions.

That's it, then. I'm going to put up dinner and then watch some more. I'm just really happy that I can stick the Toradora! anime on my shelf now, even if it doesn't fit with my other anime due to mammoth size. =) I'm pretty sure these three would approve:

I think I'll finish with this random screenshot from Disgaea 2, for no reason:

EDIT: I'm not the only one who noticed the ghosting/stuttering. There are several folks on this NIS America forum thread discussing the issue right now. It's too bad... the rest of this package is just superb.
Aaron Teplitsky
yyrGames
I hope you're having fun with them!
yyr
Site Admin

Re: Toradora! Volume 1 Premium Edition (North America)

Postby DarnellMes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37 am

I love those figures Aaron!
DarnellMes

Return to Off-Topic